The Chase by Garth Brooks.
We talk about Garth’s very good album The Chase. Garth takes a stand for what’s right, especially in his first song “We Shall Be Free.” That song was more controversial than Garth anticipated, and it won a GLAAD Media Award for its lines about people getting to love whoever they choose.
The episode runs a little long… but we just got so excited about a Garth album that we can actually really enjoy!
- The album cover
- Bill Clinton on the Arsenio Hall show
- Toni Morrison called Bill Clinton “the first black president” (turns out she was actually making a point about the Monica Lewinsky scandal).
- “STILL I THINK HE’S RATHER TASTY!”
- Randy Newman’s Faust musical
- Blue-eyed soul
- James Taylor, Garth’s big man-crush on this album
- “Ue o Muite Arukō”—also known under its racist renaming, “Sukiyaki”
- The original version of “Dixie Chicken”
- “Take a load off, Danny”
- The Mountain Goats’ album Get Lonely
- The complete works of Karla Jo on Songmeanings
If you want to buy The Chase, you can do so here and support us: http://amzn.to/2gT8BUm.Support Think Outside the Box Set